Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Several months of updates

End of year exam and other stresses resulted in my blog being very neglected. However during this period I continued gaming and painting which I intend to catch up with now.
In 4 or so weeks I'll be attending Gosford Shield. A 1250pt comp based event. So with this in mind I've been painting my wyches and fixing the details on my Craftworld's warhost - resulting in 2 items to be crossed off my paint schedule :)
Also in preparation for GS I've played a few practice games to try some lists out. Here is a batrep of Biel Tan vs Iron Warriors (using Lysander and codex marines).
My list:
Farseer w/ Doom (warlord train - don't remember/nothing useful)
6 Fire Dragons Wave Serpent
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch, Dual catapults, Blade storm Wave Serpent, Shuriken Cannon, TL Shuriken Cannon
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch, Dual catapults, Blade storm Wave Serpent, Shuriken Cannon, TL Shuriken Cannon
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch, Dual catapults, Blade storm Wave Serpent, Shuriken Cannon, TL Shuriken Cannon
6 Warp Spiders, Exarch, Dual Spinners

My opponents list was something like:
Lysander (Warlord trait - scoring unit)
Master of the Forge w/ Conversion Beamer
8 Sternguard w/ Drop pod
Dreadnought
10 Tactical marines w/ Rhino
10 Tactical marines w/ Rhino

Mission: Crusade (4 objectives represented by Eldar Warlocks) Deployment: Hammer and Anvil
Iron Warriors: Deployment
Master of the Forge takes a commanding view of the battlefield from atop the building. Both rhinos are deployed centrally with the dreadnought standing behind a tree.

Eldar: Deployment
I do my best to hide my Wave Serpents whilst my Warp Spiders are held in reserve to deep strike.


Iron Warriors: Turn 1
My opponent know's he has the advantage at long range shooting and decides to land his drop pod close to his own forces as to not isolate and leave them stranded on the wrong side of the board. Despite a cover save my Fire Dragon serpent takes a glancing hit. The Serpent's Energy Field is great.


Eldar: Turn 1
The Wave Serpents move out in a pincer formation across the battlefield.


The Warp Spiders land close to my opponents table edge and shoot the dreadnought in the rear armour destroying it. Whilst I thought this might be a 1:1 trade I deemed it a good trade as it netted me First Blood and removed a large shooty and CC threat to my army. The Spiders then teleported away trying to escape retaliation.


Iron Warriors: Turn 2
Knowing most of his small arms fire will be out of range/useless against my Wave Serpents he instead focuses on taking out the Spiders however two remained out of LOS and survived. Sadly the Exarch perished.


Eldar: Turn 2
My Warp Spiders decided it is better to live one day as a lion than a lifetime as a mouse and go for glory in an attempt to take out a rhino.


It took the combined fire-power of the Spiders and all my Wave Serpents but I finally managed to strip the vehicle of hull points (both rhino's may have been protected by smoke launchers?).


Iron Warriors: Turn 3
The Master of the Forge is unable to do much with his shooting attacks throughout the game due to the Wave Serpent's armour and Energy Fields. The Warp Spiders are killed in this round. My opponent knows that I can just sit back and whittle him away all day so advances with his rhino in hopes to get his melta gun in range.


Eldar: Turn 3
So I do the brave Eldar thing and back up to my cannons max range and take out the rhino.




Iron Warriors: Turn 4
The brave marines charge up the field. Slightly out of range to fire the melta.


The other squad moves to claim the objective.


Eldar: Turn 4
I move back and deploy onto the objectives and fire most everything into the advancing marine squad.


I deploy one of my Dire Avenger squads and attack the tactical squad who are claiming the objective, causing several casualties and causing the marines to fall back.


Iron Warriors: Turn 5
The lone marine regroups and reclaims the objective. The sternguard move into rapid fire range and blast the Dire Avengers with AP4 rounds. Lysander claims one objective daring any one to come and take it off him.




We stuffed up the rules a bit and my opponent conceded before I played out my turn 5. We both thought that my Wave Serpent's could score me line breaker, in addition to having a lot of shuriken cannons pointing at that lone tactical marine. Whilst writing this batrep with what I know now it seems like it might've been a good idea to continue playing till the end, however we didn't and I won 7-6 (line breaker winning me the game).
This was the first real time I've used my mechdar in 6th edition and I was fairly happy with how it performed. However finding out that my serpent's cannon contest objectives and later finding they can't even score me line breaker, has made me realise that my old army will suffer a lot because of this. Future lists I'll be looking to include small squads of Eldar Jetbikes just to score for me.
I've also been thinking Ill change the list slightly for Gosford Shield. I had decided to take my Wych Cult as my army however Anthony never got his Tau painted in time and I don't like people touching my CWE so I'll be lending him my Wych cult and taking Biel Tan. So whilst the Wych cult might be the better list my Biel Tan are much better painted so I'm thinking of taking some pretty models and hopefully getting a painting award!
So this is the list I'm currently planning to take.
Farseer, Doom, Runes of Warding
Striking Scorpions x 8, Exarch, Claw, Shadow Strike
Fire Dragons x 6, Wave Serpent, TL Shuriken Cannon
Dire Avengers x 9, Wave Serpent, TL Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon
Dire Avengers x 9, Wave Serpent, TL Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon
Dire Avengers x 9, Wave Serpent, TL Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon
Warp Spiders x 5, Exarch, Dual Spinners
TOTAL 1247
I have two more batreps to post and an update to my wych cult to post as well which I'll do later when it isnt 4am.

1 comment: