Saturday, February 27, 2010

I see your humility and raise you my gamer jerk-off over my fav unit.

So I was at the GW yesterday and I encountered something I haven't encountered in some time and that's the guy jerking off over his favorite unit to everyone who'll listen. I was watching one of my friends play his orks against another fellow playing Chaos SM when this other fellow came up to the table and started watching before long he starts commenting on the game such things as 'thats why I love Sisters of Battle they'd do this and that', it didn't take him long till he started saying how he would (and claiming has done to people before) tabled my friend on turn one. I guess he must be so skilled after seeing my friend play for 30 mins or so he's just claimed victory and already started the party, right?

So it's now I notice one of the guys Ive seen in the store both times Ive gone (this guy is new to the hobby) staring wide eyed in wonder at the claims this guy is making listening to stories about how his assassin destroys entire armies like they weren't there and no ones able to touch him in return and how his exorcist bags land raiders all day long. So looking at this new guy reminded me how I used to listen to such boasts people would make about their units, half amazed half in fear at such legendary killing machines and wondering how they could be legal. Now I just nod my head and smile, trying to ignore them whilst seeming polite.

So perhaps I've become so arrogant that I believe I can field a force that can deal with anything my opponent throws at me that I wont get tabled turn 1 and Ill have a good dig and make my opponent work for a win. The only other option is that I've lost so much interest in the hobby that I just don't care if your wild claims will own me but I don't think this is the case 'cause if it were why would I have made a blog?

An interesting thing is whilst listening to him carry on, when he mentioned how his Exorcist always takes out Land Raiders something didn't seem right so I turned and asked him how to which he responded "its ordnance; its direct fire ordnance. 2D6 Armour penetration." Now I know how Ordnance works but it didn't sink in till later that even being Ordnance at best he would still glance so I realized he's treating it like it was a melta weapon. Something still didn't seem right Ive never recalled it being used as Ordnance against me before so I had a brief look in the codex and found nothing to support it.

This Gamer Jerk Off isn't just limited to 40k, Ive heard it from Descent, MtG, Munchkin, D&D and I'm sure many others that Ive just forgotten about or ignored over time.

So whats did I learn this week? That Exorcists  are better than super heavy vehicles and that between 3 Exorcists and a Vindicare assassin they can table over 120 orks on turn one... oh wait.

In other news I have a game lined up with 'the new  guy' I believe his name was Matt and his Dark Angels I'm going to be using a footslogging list in which I test out the effectiveness of fortuned pinning Dire Avengers compared to counter assaulting Dire Avengers lead by an Autarch. You can see more on my discussion about that here.

And lastly off-topic I got some photos of my models I took off my sisters camera they didn't turn out so well but I was able to make a new temporary banner for my blog. I think it sort of looks like it belongs on some old game show really though. And crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment