Sunday, February 14, 2010

1500pts Vs Necrons 11-2-10

1500pts Vs. Necrons

Nightbringer
Necron Lord, Destroyer Body, War scythe, Resurrection Orb, Phylactery, 
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
4 Destroyers
4 Destroyers
2 Heavy Destroyers
Tomb Spyder

The board was 4x4 with 3 large L shaped ruined buildings, two in the centre and one on my left in my opponents’ deployment zone and there was two hills on opposite (diagonal) table edges.

Scenario – Annihilation, pitched battle.

I won the roll for first turn and decided to take it.

Deployment:
I deployed my Banshee/Farseer Serpent in the middle flanked by the Fire Dragon Serpent and the Shuriken Cannon Dire Avengers and I placed my two Lance Serpents on the hill to my right, due to the two buildings near the middle my whole force was relatively protected.

My opponent castled up to my left behind the ruined building in his DZ he had his Heavy Destroyers at the board edge next to them towards the middle was one squad of Destroyers towards the centre of the board, in front of those was his twenty warriors in-between them the Nightbringer the Lord was placed near the centre in front of the Destroyers. Off to my right a little isolated was the other squad of Destroyers and in front of them was the Tomb Spyder.

My opponent failed to seize the imitative and I went first.

Eldar Turn 1
I fortuned my Banshee Serpent and went flat out towards the very centre of the board in between the two buildings and behind that I went flat out with my Dragons and following that my Shuriken Dire Avengers. On my right I moved my Lance Serpents out 12” gaining LoS to the Tomb Spyder

Both Lance Serpents fired at the Spyder my opponent failed his cover save and it was killed off.

Necron Turn 1
The Lord moved out to intercept my Banshee Serpent the Nightbringer shuffled closer to the centre of the board as well.

Lots of shots were fired and I was forced to take 5 cover saves on my Banshee Serpent which thanks for Fortune I made them all.

The Necron Lord assaulted my Banshee Serpent but failed to hit it.

Eldar – 1 Necrons – 0

Eldar Turn 2
Currently looking at the board my opponent had a strong castle in the corner and with his warrior squad near the centre I wouldn’t have been able to move in close enough with my Aspects and feel safe at taking enough out in one blow without being destroyed in a counter attack so I decided to be bold and play risky.
I Doomed the Necron Warriors and I fortuned my Banshees who got out and moved up whilst their serpent with the Farseer still inside flew off to my left so he was behind the ruined building that was guarding his castle. My Dragons flew 12” and they piled out now within range to the Necron Lord whilst my Shuriken Dire Avengers went flat out to my left in case he tried to flank me. My two Lance Serpents both flew up 12”.

My Banshees were a long way out so I decided to Fleet them first, if I didn’t end up with a good enough roll I could always turn them around to assault the Necron Lord, thankfully they rolled a 6. Now with them in charge range I was able to proceed with the rest of my shooting phase. My eight Dragons unloaded onto the Necron Lord knocking him down. All my serpents that were able to shoot fired upon the Destroyers that were positioned to my right downing three.

My Banshees weren’t out of hot water yet, I didn’t really take into account how close the Nightbringer was, my girls charged in only just managing to keep from bringing the Nightbringer into CC (it was less than 1cm). He did his defenders react and found himself 2cm out of res orb range. Needless to say my Banshees decimated the Necron Warriors killing them all. Opps now they’re in the open with a Nightbringer, 10 Warriors and lots of AP 4 guns right next to them. I feel though this was the right thing to do there was no way my Dire Avengers would be able to put out enough shots to wipe the squad or even if they did they’d get WBB from the squad next to them I also didn’t want to get too close to all those gauss weapons. Not to mention it brought him 10 deaths closer to Phase Out. Looking back on this turn I had ridiculous amounts of luck first with the fleet, then not bringing the Nightbringer into the combat (he really was that close) and finally having all the Necron Warriors 2cm away from the Res Orb. I feel if any of these things had gone against me then the game would’ve played out differently.

Necron Turn 2
Res Orb + Phylactery brought the Necron Lord back to 3 wounds and one Destroyer made his WBB roll bringing the squad that was on my right back up to two models.

A little shuffling of his troops here and there not much moving.

Rapid Fire from the Necron Warriors only killed four Howling Banshees (after Fortune) a squad of Destroyers fired I went to ground and took one of the shots on my Exarch so in the end I lost another two. The rest of his shooting managed to shake one Serpent.

He assaulted my Banshees with his Nightbringer and my Dragons with his Lord. The Banshees failed their leadership roll for counter attack and the Exarch failed to wound they were all quickly eliminated.
The Necron Lord on the other hand took a fair few wounds but made all his saves though he only managed to kill two or so Fire Dragons who held their ground.

Eldar – 2 Necrons – 1

Eldar Turn 3
Now with the centre of the board opened up I was able to plan and execute my crippling blow. I doomed the large squad of Destroyers and then backed the Farseers Serpent out a bit to allow room for the Shuriken Dire Avengers to get closer (also it was the Farseers Serpent that got shaken).
So I moved my 2 Lance Serpents right up 12” and jumped one squad of Dire Avengers out the back (I couldn’t get the other squad out without exposing my Serpents rear armour so I opted against it). I moved my Shuriken Dire Avengers up so they were poking around the edge of the ruined building in my opponents DZ and I intended to move my now empty Dragons Serpent up to block the Nightbringers approach till I remembered he can move through things, so I just moved it closer to offer supporting fire.

In my shooting phase I let lose two Blade Storms onto the larger squad of Destroyers taking them all out, I fired all my shuriken serpents onto the smaller squad of Destroyers taking them all out as well. This opened a clear firing lane from my 2 lance Serpents onto the Heavy Destroyers, which killed both of them.

In the Assault phase the Fire Dragons lost another one or two but continued to fight on.

Necron Turn 3
The only things he had left on the field now were a squad of Necron Warriors the Nightbringer and the Lord. He decided to move and run the Warriors around the corner of the building to hide them whilst with the Nightbringer he flew through the ruined building and assaulted the Dire Avengers who had no way of hurting the Nightbringer so needless to say they lost the combat, they failed their moral test and fell back. The Fire Dragons once again held their ground!

Eldar - 5 Necrons – 2

Eldar Turn 4
Not much happened this turn I Doomed the Lord and Fortuned my Serpent and moved several Serpents Flat Out to gain better firing positions next turn. I had 2 Lance Serpents at the top and the Fire Dragon serpent up there as well and I moved my Farseer and my empty Shuriken Dire Avenger Serpent to the left.

Fired some Shuriken Cannons and a Lance at the Warriors who he elected to go to ground with to try and keep the Lance from whittling him down. I think he made all his saves but he was now pinned either way.

The Fire Dragons now with Doom on their side failed to do anything and were eventually killed.

Necron Turn 4
The Nightbringer follows after the Dire Avengers and he charges them they rally to meet the charge but are killed soon after.

Eldar – 5 Necrons – 3

Eldar Turn 5
This was more or less hammering the last nail into the coffin. I Doomed the Warrior squad and pummelled them with Bright Lances, Shuriken Cannons and a Blade Storm wiping the squad down to 1 guy

Necron Turn 5
If my opponent lost 3 or more models after WBB it would have phased him out, he was unable to make enough rolls and Phased Out.

I felt brimming with confidence after this battle until I started thinking deeper into it. On the table it looked very dominating for me on the last turn I still had 5 serpents 3 of which had something inside them but using kill points my opponent was only 2 kills behind so it was a lot closer than it seemed. Also as I mentioned in the Battle Report if the Banshees hadn’t have been so lucky, had the Warriors been in Res Orb range or if the Banshees didn’t make the fleet roll or worse still if the Nightbringer had been brought into the combat and used his AoE ability to knock all the girls out of CC before they managed to land any blows. If any of these things had happened it would’ve been a lot different I think.

Also my opponent said before the game that he left his box that he stores his Monoliths in at home and thus was unable to field his normal list I asked him what he normally took in 1500 and he said he drops the Nightbringer for a Monolith and spends a few more points here and there. Hopefully Ill be able to play him again another day when he’s fielding his optimum list J

Also this was my first time playing at a new store it was great to play new people and hear the bustle of lots of gamers together I'm looking forward to going out and playing again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment